Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Chickens Are Here!

We've been talking about getting chickens for over a year now and I felt like the day would never come.  Well, last Saturday it did and we have our chicks now at long last!  We loaded up in the car early in the morning and drove over to A&L Feed which was built before the turn of the century and is one of those wonderful old fashioned feeling feed stores.  I haven't seen the kids this excited since Christmas, seriously!  I think raising chickens is going to be a good experience for the whole family, especially the kids.  It will most likely become one of their fondest childhood memories, and I'm grateful to be part of it.


I guess now we feel like "real urban homesteaders" finally. (As of starting an urban homesteading page of nearly 6000 wasn't enough!)  There is something about raising chickens that makes you feel bonified, if that makes sense.  People are already asking to come over in the spring when our garden is pretty and the chickens are living the good life in their coop, and we will.  We already have egg orders flooding in and these chicks aren't even a month old!  It's going to be fun, and it already is.  


I had to take a pic of the feed store, it's that cool.


That is one excited little boy!



Here is one of our Buff Orpingtons.




One of the two Cucko Marrans and a very happy little one.  Can't wait for those chocolate colored eggs!



Sarah has become "mommy" to the chicks.  She cleans their box twice a day and is quite protective of them.  

2 comments:

  1. Awwww! I know what you mean! I can't wait to get my chickens! Soooo impatient! I have a friend of a friend who is going to give us some chickens that lay green and blue eggs...if that ever becomes a reality. Otherwise we will go to one of the TWO feed and seed stores right by our house and get some! I really, really can't wait. And I already have plans for next year for bees and milking goats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want bees too! I want goats, but my hubby said they would probably destroy any plants and flowers in the garden, sigh. The chicks are totally worth the wait though!!

    ReplyDelete