Saturday, February 19, 2011

Urban Homesteader's Day of Action



The last few days have been a whirlwind for me - an organic grassroots whirlwind!  I am just in total awe of the urban homesteading community right now...words don't accurately describe the way we've banned together to fight for what is ours.  I must admit that I underestimated the force we would become on the net and in the blogosphere.  We are a force to be reckoned with!  Our fb page has passed 3000 likes, and we've been linked in various on line blogs and publications, some of which include:  The LAWeekly, OCWeekly, BoingBoing, Blog Her, and scads of other blogs.  We're organizing, blogging, spreading information, and creating groups, events and think tanks left and right.  Here is a paragraph from our info page: 

"This page has evolved into an organic expression of the urban homesteading community and our quest for keeping the words which define who we are as a movement and community germane to all of us. In a real way we're advocating for one another; we're discussing, networking, organizing for change, creating events, and expanding our vast and original knowledge of urban homesteading. We're finding new formats in spreading the word that we ARE urban homestead, and that nobody can copyright our identity, which belongs to all of us."

So somehow I became an urban homesteading activist....and no, you may not copyright that!  I have to say that I think it's fitting that a stay at home mom of two would be the one creating a place for urban homesteaders to unite.  We're a grass roots movement after all, not a big corporation.  We think outside of the grid and we're fiercely independent creative thinkers.  When someone tells us we can't do something, and tries to take away who we are it isn't a pretty sight....I'm glad I'm not on the other end of this putting it mildly!

Monday we're having an "urban homesteader's day of action."  We plan to tweet, blog, and update with the words urban homestead and urban homesteading in the title.  We'll blanket the web with the words that define who we are.  It will be amazing!!  So do it - be sure to put the words in the title of your post so they show up on google searches.  Let's take things up a level and germinate this land of ours!   

9 comments:

  1. THANKS TO YOU! That's coming from a fellow urban homesteader,stay at home mom of two and free-thinking individual. :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do FaceBook any more but I wanted you to know that you have my full support.
    If there's something I can do help out just give a holler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not on Facebook, but I'll be posting and tweeting about this on Monday. Let's keep these words as part of our common language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice idea which will also have the intended (or unintended?) effect of messing with the Dervaes Family's SEO. In other words if various blogs link up and use similar key words it will bring to light the problem and MIGHT also drop them back in Google's search ranking (google is a mysterious thing so no guarantees). It would helip if no one links to their website in their articles.

    I think it would be lovely for another more useful blog to show up first in google when you type in urban homesteading than the fake path to freed0m. There, now that isn't trademarked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following you now on my Google Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody! Monday is gonna be epic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in! Here's my post: http://somecallitnatural.blogspot.com/2011/02/urban-homestead-urban-homestead-urban.html

    Hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete